Local Businesses Sue Seattle for Allowing “Occupied Protest” of Downtown

0

At what point will Seattle voters decide to recall every single elected official presiding over the city’s leadership? Every city council member needs to go. Mayor Jenny Durkan needs to go. These Democrats have completely abandoned any pretense of authority over the last month, and in many cases they have actively cheered on the anarchists and racial agitators who have laid siege to six blocks of downtown Seattle. If you were the CEO of a company who stood aside and allowed criminals to take over an entire floor of offices, what are the chances you would keep your job?

Not only have Durkan and her imbecilic fellow Democrats cost Seattle safety and credibility by allowing the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest to linger on for weeks, they may have also cost the city untold millions of dollars. That will certainly be the case if a new lawsuit filed against the city winds up being successful. In it, local businesses – a property management company, an auto repair shop, and a tattoo parlor among them – are suing Seattle for allowing this occupied protest to continue, making them feel unwelcome and unsafe in their own neighborhoods.

“This lawsuit is about the constitutional and other legal rights of plaintiffs – businesses, employees and residents in and around CHOP – which have been overrun by the city of Seattle’s unprecedented decision to abandon and close off an entire city neighborhood, leaving it unchecked by the police, unserved by fire and emergency health services and inaccessible to the public at large,” the lawsuit says.

In an interview with Fox News this week, a local clothing store owner named Joey Rodolfo said he was getting ready to seek out greener pastures.

“Since we have no leadership and we have a city council that’s so socialist, there really is very, very little support for businesses,” Rodolfo said. “As far as the city reaching out to small businesses like ourselves, or any business, there has been zero.”

The plaintiffs in the suit accuse city leaders of not only standing by idly while the occupiers took over six city blocks but actually doing everything in their power to support the anarchists by providing them with barriers, restrooms, and medical supplies. In the meantime, city officials did nothing to prohibit the occupiers from denying area access to delivery trucks, customers, residents, or first responders.

“The result of the City’s actions has been lawlessness,” said a lawyer representing the plaintiffs. “There is no public safety presence. Police officers will not enter the area unless it is a life-or-death situation, and even in those situations, the response is delayed and muted, if it comes at all.”

On Monday, Mayor Durkan announced that, in the wake of two shootings in the CHOP area, the city would begin to dismantle the zone. As of Thursday morning, it does not appear that Seattle officials have taken the slightest step towards getting that done.