Pelosi to Olympic Athletes: Don’t “Speak Out”
Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (CA) instructed U.S. athletes to not “speak out” against communist China’s human rights abuses during the Winter Olympics because it might make China angry.
“I would say to our athletes — you are there to compete,” Pelosi said in part during testimony before the Congressional-Executive Commission on China. “Do not risk incurring the anger of the Chinese government because they are ruthless. I know there is a temptation on the part of some to speak out while they are there, I respect that. But, I also worry about what the Chinese government might do to their reputations, to their families.”
Bloomberg News reported:
The commission’s hearing on the eve of opening ceremonies for the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing was organized as a platform for Pelosi and several activists to highlight China’s human rights record, including reports of forced labor and acts of genocide against the Uyghur ethnic community in the Xinjiang region as well as suppression of democratic protests in Hong Kong and religious repression of Tibet’s Buddhists.
Pelosi encouraged the athletes to “be safe.”
“Speaker Pelosi doesn’t want to upset the Chinese Communist Party,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) responded. “So she’s warning US Olympians to stay silent about China’s atrocities. No surprise this comes right as Democrats are trying to jam through the 3,000-page ‘America Concedes Act’ that helps China but hurts America.”
Other notable responses to Pelosi’s remarks included:
- Guy Benson, Townhall: “If she believes US athletes should be silent about *China’s genocide* because the CCP’s reprisals would *endanger the safety* of athletes & their families, that’s a very strong case that the US should not be dignifying this disgrace with our presence in any way.”
- Rep. Carlos A. Gimenez (R-FL): “The U.S. should be BACKING UP athletes using their freedom of self-expression to expose the Beijing communists for the murderers they are, NOT telling them to hide. Americans down cower to communists. We defeat them.”
- Nile Gardiner, former aide to Margaret Thatcher: “This is a disgrace. The United States is the world’s superpower. It should never kowtow to the Chinese Communist Party.”
- Rebeccah Heinrichs, Hudson Institute: “Pelosi is telling American Olympic athletes not to say anything the Chinese Communists doesn’t want them to. This is a statement on how foolish it is to have the Olympics there and how weak our leaders are.”
- Tommy Pigott, RNC: “Seems the only entity Democrats don’t want athletes to protest is Communist China.”
- Bryan Dean Wright, former CIA officer: “Pelosi would have supported the British in the Revolutionary War.”
- Ian Miles Cheong, journalist: “Pelosi instructs US athletes to keep their mouths shut about human rights abuses in China and not incur their anger. You will do as you’re told and listen to your masters. She even says the Chinese government will come after your families in America. Ahahaha that’s wild.”
- Rep. Kevin Hern (R-OK): “Americans fight for freedom and defend the voiceless – if our athletes can’t display those American values while representing @TeamUSA in the Olympics, why are we there at all?”
- Rep. Michelle Steel (R-CA): “This is despicable. We cannot allow the #CCP to walk all over us. It is unacceptable that we’ve put our athletes in this position.”
- Rep. Scott Austin (R-GA): “Outrageous that the Speaker finds it necessary to ask American athletes not to acknowledge the CCP’s mass genocide of the Uyghur Muslims and their use of slave labor.”
Original Article: https://www.dailywire.com/news/pelosi-instructs-u-s-athletes-to-not-speak-out-during-olympics-against-communist-chinas-genocide?